Wednesday, August 5, 2009

You Know

The Lord is your guardian; the Lord is your shade at your righthand.
By day the sun cannot harm you, nor the moon by night.
The Lord will guard you from all evil, will always guard your life.
The Lord will guard your coming and going both now and forever.
(Ps 121:5-8)
You know when I sit and stand;
You understand my thoughts from afar.
My travels and my rest You mark; with all my ways You are familiar.
Even before a word is on my tongue, LORD, You know it all.
Behind and before You encircle me and rest Your hand upon me.
(Ps 139:2-5)
"Well this day's been crazy But everything's happened on schedule, from the rain and the cold To the drink that I spilled on my shirt. 'Cause You knew how You'd save me before I fell dead in the garden, And You knew this day long before You made me out of dirt. And You know the plans that You have for me And You can't plan the end and not plan the means And so I suppose I just need some peace, Just to get me to sleep." (Caedmon's Call)
The applicable quotations are piling up. As it dawns on me, I want to smack my head in disbelief. Silly girl, how many times do you need to be reminded of His providence? You knew, Lord, that this day would be a rough one, didn't You? You knew, and You were there, ready to give what I needed for enduring it. No, for more than enduring it. Enduring is what I can do on my own, for the most part, but You bring good out of what I can't make good. You already know what I'll face tomorrow; what will make me smile, what will discourage me, what I'll be thankful for by the time the sun goes down and what I'll be wishing could have been different. And when I am taken by surprise by the way things play out, You are not surprised. You never are surprised, never thrown off balance. Guard me, Lord, against forgetfulness of this reality.

No comments: