Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Day One

This is day one.

I absolutely love mornings. I don't always immediately love them. Those first moments as I become aware of the radio waking me from dreams and the chill of the air outside the blankets reaches my conciousness are not always my favorite times. But I get past those initial upleasentries and I greet the morning gladly. And on occasion, I love the morning from the start. By some miracle I realize that this day is new; I know from the moment I wake that the day has the potential to be a really good day. Aren't mornings wonderful for that? New chances. New light. New.

For some reason, this is one of those 'love it from the start' mornings. Don't ask me why. It's cold. It's raining. I have an overwhelming to-do list and not nearly enough hours in the day to accomplish it all. Yesterday could have been better. Tomorrow won't be much different. But today... I don't know. There is nothing stopping me from making today Day One of beginning to live how I've intended to start living for far too long. I mean, really, why shouldn't today be that day? Why shouldn't today be the day I start the daily prayer time I've gotten out of the habit of having, and reading for more time than I watch television, and skipping any regrettable unhealthy meals or snacks, and getting back to the gym at least 4 days a week, and letting go of the attachment that I've needed to let go of for so very long.

"An unexamined life is not worth living." (Socrates)

1 comment:

cecilia tinajero said...

love it! this is totally inspiring...i will be re-reading it for sure!

love you and miss you!